Monday, November 3, 2014

My Favorite Homemade Pizza Crust



If I let them, E and B would eat pizza several times a week.  They love a well built pizza. In my quest to keep things as healthy as I can, and in an effort to get over my fear of using yeast, I had to learn how to make homemade crust!

I first started out making a crust using Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. It was alright, easy but not the crust I wanted.  After several attempts with different recipes, this one is my favorite.  It is so easy and forgiving.


While you can use the dough immediately, letting it proof for at least a week will add so much noticeable flavor.  The crust has a really good rise when baked so you can roll it fairly thin.  I bake the filled pizza crust in a preheated 425 degree for about 15 minutes or until cooked to desired crispness.


My Favorite Homemade Pizza Crust
Heavily Adapted from: http://www.bellalimento.com/2011/10/19/how-to-make-pizza-dough/

What you need:

  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups warm water



What to do:

  • In the bowl of your stand mixer add the flour, oil, yeast, salt. 
  • Using the dough hook, turn mixer on low. 
  • GRADUALLY drizzle the water into the flour mixture until it forms a ball. 
  • If your dough is too "wet" add a little more flour. If your dough is too "dry" add a little more water.
  • Continue kneading on low for approximately 10-12 minutes. The dough ball should be tacky but not sticky to the touch.
  • Cover your dough ball with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise until it's twice it's size.
  • Dough can be used immediately after it has risen (bake in a preheated 425 degree oven); or placed in a plastic zip bag and stored in the fridge.

9 comments:

Miss Mile High said...

First thing - that pizza looks ridiculously good! Next time I'm in Houston I'm coming for dinner.

Second - in all of your trial and error did you ever try adding in any wheat flour? I am one of the few people in the world who actually like grainier textures, so I'm just curious of any experience you may have (or advise against!). I've never made my own crust, but you make this look really easy!

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

I've actually never tried the crust with wheat flour. I will try it this weekend and report back!

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

Oh, and my door is always open for dinner guests; so come on!!

Unknown said...

I usually use instant pizza crust because it uses the least time and effort, lol. But I do want you to know that this pizza is SERIOUS business. It looks absolutely amazing!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I was just talking about how we are going to start making homemade pizza. Thanks for this!

Denise S said...

J just told me that were having pizza for my birthday on Friday. I'll use this recipe!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a really good pizza dough. I remember when I was little my mom would make pizza dough and I would watch it rise, it was fascinating. How do you store it? Do you just keep it in the fridge?

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

@Glamista Home I store it in the fridge in a plastic bag but I am sure any airtight container will do.

Unknown said...

OH.YEAH.

Don't talk to me.

Print