Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Weekend Project - The NON Magnetic Chalk Board


Thanksgiving will be in our home this year and I am really excited about it.  There are so many projects I want to have completed before November but it seems really daunting.  It’s mostly stuff that we've put off doing like painting, organizing, building furniture, buying furniture, etc.  

While I work really well under pressure, I want to take my time and get everything just right. So I have decided to take two weekends out of the month for home projects. I will pick several projects from my master list and complete them over the course of a weekend. These will be strictly Saturday posts. I cook, I am NOT a diy-er! LOL  Sounds easy right? 

*eyeroll*

The first project on the list is the Magnetic Chalk Board Wall.  Getting this all together first required me to sand the walls, paint the walls and to clean and paint the baseboards.  THEN, I will need to prep the frame (remove the current picture and spray paint it) and paint the area, first with magnetic paint, then with chalkboard paint, where the frame will hang.  I hated it.

The magnetic part was a big fat FAIL! The magnetic paint was a runny mess; such that I had to touch-up my freshly painted wall.  After three or four coats of that hater magnetic paint, the magnets did not stick.  I just ended up with a framed chalkboard section...that I didn't like.  I contemplated for weeks about what I was going to do with it. 


I ended up painting the entire wall chalkboard and liked it way better....way!!! All of the frames were either thrifted or ones I already had on hand.  



While this project took way longer than I anticipated and didn't start out how I imagined, I love it better than my initial plan.  I also have plans to make some letter changes eventually.  However, it encouraged me to continue tackling the other projects on my list...which is long and strong y'all! Long. And strong.

Next up: The Family Room Gallery Wall





1 comment:

Miss Mile High said...

It looks to me like someone is quite the artist!

I don't have as much patience for diy projects as I do for cooking. I can spend hours chopping and prepping and cooking and baking, but those frames I spray painted for my last DIY are still sitting on our back patio after numerous rains.

It frustrates me so much because I can see a random recipe someone has created and modify it to make it awesome for us. But with craft projects I have all of the best intentions and they never work out like they're supposed to.

Print