Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Coconut Pound Cake w/Coconut Lime Glaze


Apparently, I am going to have to change my stance on coconut cause I've been cooking with it a lot lately. Coconut is a flavor I can take or leave unless it is in a cocktail.  However, sweetened coconut flakes add a really nice subtle flavor to baked goods that I think I might like after all.

This was an easy one bowl cake that I will definitely add to my growing cake arsenal! The glaze is optional because the flavor of the cake holds its on.





Coconut Pound Cake w/Coconut Lime Glaze
Adapted from: http://www.twirlandtaste.com/2012/12/old-fashioned-southern-coconut-pound.html

What you need:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup oil (canola, vegetable, olive, etc)
  • 5 large eggs
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk or whole milk (NOT cream of coconut)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded and sweetened coconut
  • 2 teaspoons coconut extract
  • Non-stick spray

For the glaze
1 cup sugar
Juice and zest from one lime
2 Tbs butter
1 tsp coconut extract

What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Prepare bundt or tube pan with the non-stick spray, set aside
  • Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
  • Bake for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean

To make the glaze:
  • Mix all ingredients over medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil and the sugar melts.
  • Remove from heat and carefully pour glaze over cake.
  • Let the glaze firm up for about ten minutes before 

2 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

This looks so good - I plan to make. As soon as I have an oven again...

Anonymous said...

this looks heavenly. I love everything with coconut. Thinking about making this soon. Thx for d recipe:)

Print