Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The 40 Series #3- I Am Not A Hair Snob

 
 
 
In my world, for my hair...it's just hair. I've had relaxed hair, natural hair, long hair, short hair, colored hair, highlighted hair, damaged hair, healthy hair, pregnancy hair, after pregnancy hair and probably everything in between except weave...though I am toying with the idea of a sew-in. Hair for me is just like any other accessory, it changes.
 


I decided to go natural this time for my daughter though. She is one of few brown girls in her school and even fewer with natural hair. While she never felt any kind of way about her hair, cause it's full of awesome, I never wanted her to begin feeling any kind of way about it. Like it isn't pretty enough or long enough or straight enough or any of those things that people will say in an attempt to shake her confidence.
 
So one day before we headed out to the docks for fresh seafood and fun, we stopped by my BIL's barbershop.  He hooked me right on up.  B thought I was gutsy for doing it and kept telling me how pretty I looked. #GeniusKid
 
When I got that cut folks constantly asked me "What did E think" or "How did E feel about it." I said some variation of "what should he feel about it? It's my hair!"  I would NEVER be with a man that felt some kind of way about how I wear my hair.  It is my hair. Period. He loved it by the way as he does any hairstyle I've had since we've been together.  He simply doesn't care. He doesn't love me based on how my hair looks!
 

What I know for sure about me: It's. Just. MY. Hair. and it grows back!

#The40Series
 

No comments:

Print