Monday, October 29, 2012

Cooking Pinto Beans

The women in my family can cook a pot of beans!  Growing up, creamy pinto beans with tender neckbones or a piece of salt pork with a side of my grandmother's fried chicken and her hot water cornbread was one of my most favorite meals!

When I was first out on my own I never made beans but now as a real deal adult I can't get enough! Black beans, pinto, white and a good bean soup mix...gimme!  Lucky for me nobody in my house likes beans, so when I make a pot they are all mine.  While I don't eat or cook with neckbones or salt pork any longer, I am not above a smoked hamhock for flavor only.

For this pot, however, I'm using smoked turkey meat, onions, homemade salt-free chicken broth and a spice mix of garlic powder, thyme, basil, salt and pepper.  With this cool weather we are having these will be great lunch for the week!
 
What beans are your favorite to eat and/or cook?
 
 

 

3 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

I love beans. Like really, truly, seriously love them. Black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, navy beans - yes please!

Forced to pick a favorite, I'd roll with black beans, but really that's like asking a mother to pick her favorite child :)

Cooking question: You cook your beans with salt? I never have because I heard that slows the cooking process tremendously. You've not found that to be true?

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

Lol...beans are everything! I add the salt at the end.

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

Lol...beans are everything! I add the salt at the end.

Print