Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pecan Crusted Trout


For some reason the fish looks greasy but it really wasn't!
 On the continued quest to eat as much food from the pantry as possible, I found that I had little left over corners of pecans, walnuts and pistachios. I saved the walnuts and pistachios for loaded oatmeal cookies I will make later this week but the pecans are for fish!

There is this little restaurant that used to make the best pecan crusted trout I've ever eaten. I asked the cook what was his secret and he said "nothing but nuts", meaning no bread crumbs, flour or other filler. What a difference in taste!

Pecan Crusted Trout w/Browned Butter Sauce
What you need:
  • 4 6 oz Trout portions (I used an entire fillet)
  • Enough olive oil to rub over each fillet
  • 1 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon each oregano and dill, or your favorite herb combination
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (I chopped half coarsely and the other half fine)
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter



What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Rub olive oil over each fillet
  • Season fish with salt and pepper and herbs
  • Place pecans in a shallow dish and generously coat each fillet with the nuts, gently pressing pecans onto the fish
  • Place fillets, crumb side up, on a sheet pan coated with non-stick spray
  • Roast until fish is cooked through and flaky, about 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your fillets
  • While fish is roasting, make the Browned Butter Sauce
  • In a medium sauce pan over low heat, cook the butter until it begins to brown (5-7 minutes)
  • Remove from heat when the butter begins to smell nutty. Be careful not to burn it
  • Place rested fish on individual plates and sauce each fillet lightly with the sauce

1 comment:

K. Rock said...

I've had trout a couple of times and both times I didnt like it. Dont know if it was the fish or the preparation. But I am willing to try it again to find out.

Print