Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baked Macaroni and Cheddar

 
Confession: before I learned how to, sho nuff, cook and well before I took my high blood pressure seriously, I was a FAITHFUL processed cheese user.  There was something about that melty 'goodness' that made every cheeseable food taste better!
 
Well, the more knowledgeable I became about my high blood pressure and about food in general, the more things I completely eliminated out of my diet.  Processed cheese food was part of the first wave of eliminations. 


However, I did not want to give up my occasional comfort foods like macaroni and cheese. So I had to learned how to make creamy goodness without the artificial stuff.  Can I tell you that in the beginning it was a struggle! I just couldn't wrap my had around a béchamel sauce for mac and cheese.  When I was learning the proper way to make the sauce it was terrible! I never cooked the flour mixture long enough, the cheese wouldn't properly incorporate and the end result was just gross!

Well I guess practice makes perfect because this is my go to recipe for mac and cheese. It is full of flavor,
easy to make and just full of plain old ooey, gooey goodness!


Baked Macaroni and Cheddar

What you need:
  • 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 cup cream
  • 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup buttered and lightly toasted breadcrumbs (I browned mine in browned butter!)


What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside
  • In a large boiler melt butter
  • Add flour, pepper and salt using a whisk to stir until well blended
  • Pour half and half and cream in gradually; stirring constantly
  • Bring to a boil. Boil 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly
  • Reduce heat to low and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly
  • Add shredded cheddar, small handfuls at a time until cheese melts
  • Off the heat add the macaroni to the saucepan and stir to coat with the cheese sauce, it will be thick
  • Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish
  • Sprinkle with breadcrumbs
  • Bake 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and cheese is hot and bubbly

4 comments:

K. Rock said...

I have the same problem with bechamel sauce. Too much flour, not enough cooking time,...just a bevy of issues. But every now and then it happens to turn out right. I will have to try this.

Unknown said...

The processed cheese food struggle is real. I still keep a brick in my pantry when grown folk cheese sauce making goes wrong. But ain't nothing like a well made cheese sauce with a variety of "gourmet" cheeses in it. Smoked gouda, havarti, smoked and AGED cheddar...yes GAWD. Gimme all a dat.

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

Now, you've gone and done it! I will be cooking this mac THIS weekend! Did you use regular macaroni noodles? The photos look like shells kind of. Also, did you make your own breadcrumbs or buy the ones already made? I just want to make sure that I do exactly what you did, because this stuff looks ah-mazing!!!

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

Paige you are so kind!

I used shells cause the cheese will get all in the scoop part of the noodle

I did not make my breadcrumbs this time! I used whole wheat crumbs that I'd sautéed in browned butter then placed them on top right before I placed the mac and cheese in the oven.

I hope you and your husband enjoy!

Print